Honey is the sweet nectar that is used not only for food but also for medicinal purposes. It has been around for centuries to remedy burns, wounds, sore throat, and coughs. For centuries, honey has helped mothers with these common and seasonal illnesses. It is easily accessible, and children love it, so no difficulties in treating them with honey. Some of its health benefits are scientifically proven, but honey can also cause harm if it is contaminated. Contamination usually happens in honey during production. So to be safe, only use honey from a trusted source. There are no known effects of manuka honey. However, it is still crucial to understand how it is processed and where it was from.
Possible Side Effects Of Manuka Honey And Special Precautions
- Allergic Reaction – some people are allergic to bees and pollen. To stay on the safe side, avoid honey if you have allergies to bees or ask for advice from your doctor.
- In some cases, it has adverse effects for those undergoing on the safe side, asks for professional advice, or avoids honey at all chemotherapy.
- It can cause botulism poisoning for children aging 12 months and below.
- Use proper precaution for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Honey is healthy and safe for children 1-year-old and above but not advisable for 12 months and below because a child is at risk for botulism poisoning at this age.
- If taken in large amounts, it can increase the sugar level for patients with type 2 diabetes. But it is safe if you only mix it with your warm beverages. Safer than your refined sugar.
Honey produced from the nectar of rhododendrons has toxins that can cause chest pain, heart problems, and lower blood pressure. Fortunately, manuka honey is safe and made with strict standards. Now, we know the uses of manuka honey in our home and no harm in learning how to be safe. Checking the labels for their legalities, expiration, and origin is a must before buying it. With manuka honey, we can guarantee that its health benefits overpower its side effects. As explained above, side effects occur only in some specific cases and conditions of a person.