We all know what fiber is excellent for flushing out the toxins from our bodies. We do not know that there are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble fiber. Beta glucan is a soluble fiber that dissolves easily in water and supports our immunity against diseases. Beta glucans can be classified as polysaccharides from oats, yeast, grains, and mushrooms like shiitake, maitake, and reishi. Since it is soluble in water, it can be broken down into a gel-like substance in our stomach once digested.
Benefits Of Beta-glucan
Everyone knows that fiber is good for our hearts. And because beta glucan is a type of fiber, it benefits the heart and supports the immune system. Recently, beta glucan has been recognized for the benefits it can do for our skin. Below are the known benefits of beta glucan;
- Low-cholesterol – it has been proven that beta glucan derived from cereal is good for the heart because it lowers cholesterol levels.
- Boost immunity – beta glucan derived from the mushroom is proven to strengthen the immune system giving us stronger immunity against viruses and bacteria.
- Promote a healthy gut – the most significant part of a mushroom is beta glucan, an excellent prebiotic. Prebiotics are good bacteria that improve gut health.
- Lower blood sugar – beta glucans make the body absorb sugar slowly. Because of that, this is beneficial to people with diabetes.
- It helps in weight loss – since it helps in the detoxification process, our body removes unwanted toxins and fats faster that will help you lose weight.
- Prevent the spread of cancer – beta glucan activates cancer-fighting cells such as T-cells. Therefore it helps minimize the spread of cancer cells.
- Promotes healthy skin – new study claims that beta glucan helps in wound healing and rehydrates your skin, making it healthy and youthful. It is now used in face creams and lotions because of these benefits.
- Decrease inflammation – the fact that beta glucan is good for the heart and great in detoxifying our body, you are not at risk of inflammation. Having a healthy body and a healthy diet will prevent you from having inflammation.
How Does It Work?
Now we know what beta glucan and its benefits, let us tackle how it works after consuming it. Since it is soluble, it transports food slowly to our stomach, meaning it takes longer for our digestive system to digest what we ate. Slower digestion means there are fewer carbohydrates absorbed, which is good for lowering our sugar level. Aside from that, beta glucan also takes cholesterol with it during the digestion process.
From the sources of beta glucan mentioned above, there is an easy way now to include beta glucan in our diet. Beta glucan Supplements are now available, and there are even skincare products that have beta glucans. It would be best to take the proper dosage when taking this supplement; whatever your purpose for taking beta glucans. is better to take precautions and ask for professional advice.