Did you know that the timing of your meals can affect your body’s ability to lose or gain weight? When you eat at night, your body is not prepared to sleep, and if you choose to sleep with a full stomach, it harms the digestion that usually causes fats to build up in your stomach area and gradually will cause you to gain weight. And if ever you can’t go to sleep early after eating, sleeping late is harmful to your memory and will also cause you less energy the next day. You will feel tired, which will make you inefficient in your daily activities.
Eating Supper Late At Night Is Bad For You
Most women who are on a diet do not eat supper after 6 pm. It is called the “after 6” diet. Eating supper after six and late at night aids in gaining weight and can lead to health problems like increased blood sugar, heart diseases, and acidity. Let us sum up the reasons why eating supper is terrible for you;
- Increased risk of obesity is because eating late at night often leads you to consume more calories. Your body cannot digest food when you sleep after eating. And when you gain weight and cannot control it, it can lead to obesity.
- Poor memory and learning – A study said that the timing of your meals has a significant effect on your cognitive abilities. When you eat late at night, the tendency to sleep late also will cause impaired molecules involved in memory formation. And as I have mentioned earlier, sleeping late makes you feel tired the next day, leading you to lose focus.
- Eating disorder – part of this is; when it’s late, you tend to eat what is readily available. For example, those who work at night usually eat junk foods, chocolates, or instant noodles to keep them awake or satisfy their hunger. It will lead to an eating disorder, and once you have this disorder, the tendency is you will eat less or more throughout the day, consuming more or less of the required daily caloric intake.
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD) – if you eat supper late at night, you are at high risk of GERD. It is a condition where the food in your stomach will get back up to your esophagus.
- The negative effect on your metabolism and digestion is that our body’s metabolism is low because of inactivity when we sleep. The food we take is inadequately digested. It will make you vulnerable to certain health disorders.
Living a healthy lifestyle includes eating your meals at the proper time. Now that you know eating supper late is bad for you, start changing your eating habits and help yourself avoid health disorders and live longer. Follow the required diet at proper timing and always keep in mind that in losing weight, do it healthily.