When I was a child, I spent every vacation in my grandparent’s house in the province. When my grandfather became ill, his choice of food changed, or maybe it was his doctor’s advice. My mother feeds him oatmeal every morning instead of his usual rice, coffee, or bread. My grandma’s breakfast also changed into oatmeal. It became their regular breakfast since that time. That is why I grew up believing that oatmeal is for older people and those who are sick. It was later then when I studied nursing education that I learned the reason behind it.
Oatmeal is very nutritious and for most people that made oatmeal part of their daily breakfast, it is indulgent and comforting. When I learned about this, I tried oatmeal every other day. At first, my reason was for its health benefits, but later on, I came to enjoy it more and more. It is easy to prepare and indeed, very comforting. Oats with hot milk are my favorite comfort food on a rainy day. Do you know that you can also eat oatmeal before bedtime? Yes, it is not only intended for breakfast but anytime you want. A study said that oatmeal promotes drowsiness. Other than that, it is said to curb your hunger. Oatmeals can be eaten as desserts too. Instead of chocolate cookies, I learned to prepare oatmeal cookies for a healthier option. The reasons why you should eat oats and oatmeal are below.
Health Benefits Of Eating Oatmeal
- It suits the heart and colon – oats have a unique antioxidant called Avenanthramides that help protect us from coronary heart disease and colon cancer.
- Lower Cholesterol – the soluble fiber content of oatmeal forms a viscous gel that helps lower Cholesterol and at the same time control blood pressure.
- It helps control your weight – it has fiber that helps not only your cholesterol level but also aids in removing toxins out from your body.
- Stabilize Blood Sugar – the soluble fiber not only lowers cholesterol levels but also stabilizes blood sugar. It is why oatmeal is advisable for most middle-aged to old ages who predominantly suffer health problems.
- Aids in Weight Loss – eating oats and oatmeal helps you control weight because of their antioxidants properties. Plus, it curbs your hunger – meaning you will not crave more caloric food for a longer time of the day.
Having oatmeal in your breakfast will not only give a perfect start to your busy day. Oats are rich in vitamins and minerals needed to boost your energy. Oatmeal is not only good for the elderly and the weak but for anyone who wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle. One of my reasons for changing my usual cereal to oatmeal – is because it is perfect for my gluten-free diet. I usually mix it with fruits like bananas or strawberries. It is not only a healthy comfort food but also nutritious. The health benefits of oats and oatmeal make it perfect for all ages.